Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounded coplanar waveguide with HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmb22

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss coplanar waveguide

Hi,

I am trying to get simulation of the magnetic field behaviour for a grounded coplanar waveguide. I am using HFSS for 3 days now. And my only success has been to install the software.
Basically, I designed the GCPW using 2 wave ports. However, I can't get an output that makes sense. I calculated the width and gap to get impedance match to 50Ohms using TXLine.
First, how do you define the 3 ground planes as "ground plane". Basically, they are not really plane but rather box so I can't use the option of HFSS.

I am not interested to generate specific mode in GCPW except a quasi TEM mode. I am planning to use the GCPW as a broadband transmission line (5GHz to 40GHz)

Second: should I define any mesh operations?

Also, if the rectangle that defines the Wave ports are such that they are connecting the central line, the 2 ground planes on top of the substrate and the ground plane on the bottom, then I obtained the follwoing:

[error] Port refinement, process abc3d died unexpectedly.

My question: WHY?

If I adjust the ports so they are only connected to the top metallic layers, then it "works": no error message.
However, the direction of H field lines and the amplitude do not make sense?

Thanx for your help.

coplanar waveguide hfss

jmb22 said:
Hi,

I am trying to get simulation of the magnetic field behaviour for a grounded coplanar waveguide. I am using HFSS for 3 days now. And my only success has been to install the software.
Basically, I designed the GCPW using 2 wave ports. However, I can't get an output that makes sense. I calculated the width and gap to get impedance match to 50Ohms using TXLine.
First, how do you define the 3 ground planes as "ground plane". Basically, they are not really plane but rather box so I can't use the option of HFSS.

I am not interested to generate specific mode in GCPW except a quasi TEM mode. I am planning to use the GCPW as a broadband transmission line (5GHz to 40GHz)

Also, if the rectangle that defines the Wave ports are such that they are connecting the central line, the 2 ground planes on top of the substrate and the ground plane on the bottom, then I obtained the follwoing:

If I adjust the ports so they are only connected to the top metallic layers, then it "works": no error message.

Thanx for your help.

1- one of my friend (wlcsp) suggested to avoid an aspect ratios(length:thickness) of more than 1000:1. you use length:thickness=>4mm:200nm=>20000:1
Instead, use 2D shapes.

2- calculations do not match experimental results. I calculated microstrip width by using dielectric constant and width of the substrate, however it did not work as I expected. I simulated it with hfss, I obtained the same result with my design. than by changing parameters, I got the exact result.
therefore, do not count on calculations.

3- although I am not sure, you should define transmissionline as radiation boundary.

hfss coplanr waveguide simulation

jmb22 said:
Hi,

quote]

About the ports setting of CPW, you can find a lot of introductory materials in this forum. For GCPW, the rectangular port need touch the lower-layer ground metal plane. You are using waveport, and some errors occured, I think the problem may come from the width of the port is too big, and also I strongly recommend that you can define the integration line which is parallel with the lower-layer ground plane at the gap.

About the mesh refine, since you are interested in the quasi-TEM mode only, no consideration of the higher mode, and you treat it as general transimission line, so your interest is just the characteristic impedance Z0, am I correct? In this case, you dont need a huge ground plane and huge computational domain, so no need to do mesh refinement.

I didnt read ur model yet, about just the general information.

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back