Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounded Coplanar Waveguide, Gold over Nickel plating and losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRFguy

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

In microstrip the field is predominantly between the track and the the groundplane beneath meaning that most of the conductive loss in the track will be on the underside of the foil where there is no plating and where the surface roughness depends on the way the substrate manufacturer manufactured the foil.

On GCPWG however there will,presumably, be a more significant contribution to loss from the field between the edges of the conductor and the 'walls' of the coplanar guide that are formed by the via holes bordering the track. Here, I would expect the losses to be significantly higher due to the losses through the Gold over Nickel plating which will, I suppose, change with frequency due to skin depth and the thickness of the differeent metal layers.

Is my analysis of this roughly correct and can anyone point me at some resources that describe these effects in a useful way?

Many thanks

OldRFguy

Hi OldRFguy

Your assumption is correct wrt Gold over Nickel plating.But loss will occur in both Microstrip and GCPWG due to plating and surface roughness.You can find more articles in Rogers blog which covers all these aspects indepth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back