Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Tracker Antenna & Faraday cage effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

meomem2023

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
After a recent bad experience due to my bike being stolen. I'm trying to install this GPS Tracker (S7 model) in my bike (S7 model) :

1677691829619.png

Inside :

1677691981479.png

I have install it here in the bike frame:
1677692219633.png

The problem is, that once the GPS tracker inside, it is impossible to catch ths GSM neither GPS signal. Very probabely due to Faraday cage effect.
Could someone help me to fix that ? can I for example connect the GND power to the bike frame, by coil rolling... or something like that to allow the GPS tracker to catch GSM & GPS signals ?.
Thank you by advance for your support

Your images live at AllAboutCircuits.com which requires an account to view them.

Please put your images in a second post in this thread, using the Insert Image icon among the row of icons in the Reply window. It looks like the non-functioning diagram below:

Insert Image icon Edaboard Mar 2023.png

Hi,

We still can't see the pictures. Btw ".png" is no good picture format for fotos. Better use .jpg (low res, low quality setup). .png is good for screenshots of text or diagrams.....

Farady cage is farady cage. Connecting GND to the frame can't work.

It could work on a bicycle with carbon frame.
On metal frames you need to put tye antenna outside the frame. Maybe at the saddle.

Klaus

Hello,
After a recent bad experience due to my bike being stolen. I'm trying to install this GPS Tracker (S7 model) in my bike (S7 model) :

1677691829619.png

Inside :

1677691981479.png

I have install it here in the bike frame:
1677692219633.png

The problem is, that once the GPS tracker inside, it is impossible to catch ths GSM neither GPS signal. Very probabely due to Faraday cage effect.
Could someone help me to fix that ? can I for example connect the GND power to the bike frame, by coil rolling... or something like that to allow the GPS tracker to catch GSM & GPS signals ?.
Thank you by advance for your support
Sorry for the miss uploading pictures. I try this (I don't found how to update the initial post)
--- Updated ---

Hi,

We still can't see the pictures. Btw ".png" is no good picture format for fotos. Better use .jpg (low res, low quality setup). .png is good for screenshots of text or diagrams.....

Farady cage is farady cage. Connecting GND to the frame can't work.

It could work on a bicycle with carbon frame.
On metal frames you need to put tye antenna outside the frame. Maybe at the saddle.

Klaus
My bike is aluminum frame, did that have the same effect as metallic (magnetic sensitive) ?

Last edited:

aluminum is metal, and not ferromagnetic
copper, which is also not ferromagnetic, is usually used for making faraday cages

maybe you can thread a small antenna wire up through the saddle mount?

or disconnect the gps antenna from the PWB, and thread its connections up through the saddle mount?

you might (?) mount it inside a wheel rim. the rubber tire should not hinder
either the gps signal or the signal to your tracker.

I am using the GPS tracker in the link below, hidden below the saddle. I made a holder, and I can put in place or remove it, in few seconds..

But the best (and proved) antiteft solution, is to use a scrap bicycle :)
It's a solution, but I don't want to have a radiation source just under my as 🙄

Agree with scrap bicycle solution 🤣

In standby mode (when you ride the bike) is not transmitting anything.
When you leave the bicycle, you turn the device ON (don't need to remove the tracker from its place to turn it ON).
So, the thief will be radiated, not you.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back