Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS signal level

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2053

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to display the signal level of GPS data on the LCD.
If all the data is retrieving then the level indication on LCD will be high and 50% of data is retrieving and no data is retrieving then zero level indication. How can I achieve this?
The indication level as given picture:

Attachments

• gps.png
    gps.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 111

Hi,

we don´t know what
* GPS hardware
* microcontroller
* display
* programming language
* compiler
* hardware and programming skills
you have

so it´s rather difficult to find out what information you are looking for.

Please focus on one item and ask a detailled question.

Klaus

Adding to what Klaus said, you probably want to measure BER (Bit Error Rate) rather than signal level. GPS data comes from several satellites so using strength alone would require lots of graphs and be confusing to say the least. BER gives a better indication of how usable the data is instead of radio signal strength.

Brian.

Adding to what Klaus said, you probably want to measure BER (Bit Error Rate) rather than signal level. GPS data comes from several satellites so using strength alone would require lots of graphs and be confusing to say the least. BER gives a better indication of how usable the data is instead of radio signal strength.

Brian.
yeah, I want to indicate how accurately data is retrieving via bar graph and show that in the LCD. Actually measure the signal strength.

Hello!

You could consider retrieving the MSS frame which includes signal strength. But I don't understand this:

If all the data is retrieving then the level indication on LCD will be high and 50% of data is retrieving and no data is retrieving then zero level indication.

I may mean:
if (all the data is retrieving) {
level_indication_high
}
else if (50 % retrieving) { // Where would you put a 25% receiving for example?
???
}
else if (no data) {
zero level indication
}
NB: I think it would be better to operate in intervals, of example 0~20, 20~40, etc...

But you have 5 bars in your bargraph...
So before giving you more advice, please define your system, ideally by starting with a reply to Klaus.

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.