Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Interfacing with ATMEGA 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentx

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,
I am trying to interface GPS with ATMEGA16. Although i successfully interfaced the GPS device with my PC, but when receiving data from GPS on ATMEGA16, i am getting junk values (even though the "BAUD RATE" of both devices is set to be same). SO can any one tell me how should i fix this problem.

how had you interfaced to pc .. usb - rs232 ..
or using max .. to the comport
what voltage levels is your ATMEGA16 powered at

Well i used both, USB and Serial Port, when communicating between GPS device and PC, and both worked perfectly.
And used max232 circuit to communicate between micro-controller and PC(which worked very well too). But when i connected GPS device with Atmega16, using the serial port(and max 232 circuit), the controller started receiving junk data. And besides that, the GPS device also stopped sending data after a while(almost 1 minute), when connected to ATMEGA16.
I m using 5V to power ATMEGA16.

Well i used both, USB and Serial Port, when communicating between GPS device and PC, and both worked perfectly.
And used max232 circuit to communicate between micro-controller and PC(which worked very well too). But when i connected GPS device with Atmega16, using the serial port(and max 232 circuit), the controller started receiving junk data. And besides that, the GPS device also stopped sending data after a while(almost 1 minute), when connected to ATMEGA16.
I m using 5V to power ATMEGA16.

thats what the problem is .. max is not need to connect atmega16 to GPS
you will probably damage the GPS module this way .. since max outputs are at 8V to 13V

Status
Not open for further replies.