Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good printer for PCB toner transfer making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrojosh86

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm asking what is a good printer for PCB toner transfer. I want to get into making PCBs but there is a lot about a laser printer for PCB designing that I don't know. Like DPI. I hear 1200 is best. Also what kind of toner to get. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg. Anywhere up to $200 is my range. I see a lot about the samsung ml2525 with original toner being a good choice. Just wondering what others (cheaper but good) I can look into. I also see many posts saying stay away from Brother brand printers.. So..

Thanks!

It depends on your quality and resolution criteria. PHoto tools will always be 100x better or more than carbon transfer laser printer. Half tone edge printing software helps the ink structure adhere better.

Maintenance and cleanliness of toner cartridge may affect pitting in fine line tracks.
Also type of high temperature film that will not wrinkle or curl up and has good adhesion for small vias is difficult and critical as uncurling the film may lose some dots of carbon.

High quality visual inspection of film is mandatory before etching.

Laser printers have improved a lot but sending artwork for film is best at some photoshop or printing house.
There they have >=2400 dpi resolution and much greater quality or error rate for missing or extra black specs (dust) that affects image quality.

I do not have any printer recommendations, just if you want 3 mil track and gaps, you want to go with photo tools. 20 mil track/gap, you can get away with laser and the "right" high temp transparencies, that don't turn into Ripple chips.

I find EPSON brand printers best for quality, but don't go with cheapest model in either inkjet or laser.

Some use white bond paper then soak in oil to develop as oil makes it transparent.

Others simply buy their transparencies from a printshop for $1 or so., because there is more to printing than dpi. or get fineline film developed for $10 by local Email or ftp for the phototool in the acceptable format.

On average I might do 20 mil tracks but might go as low as 10 mil. Photo tools? Is this software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back