Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

good GSM/GPRS modem that can be used with a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur_man

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
www.telescada.ru

Hi guys, I hope you are ok.

Can you propose a good GSM/GPRS modem that can be used with a PIC? How do I program gsm modems? Is there an application??

It has to cooperate with european standards.

telit modem bugs

Hi,

There are many GSM/GPRS modems that use depending on your requirements...
You can control them from PIC or some other uC via AT commands via any UART port and/or directly via serial interface (Wavecom & Telit modules only)...

Now you must choose depending on following:
Most popular GSM modems manufacturers are: Wavecom, Telit, Siemens, SIMCOM & Sagem... There are others bu I have used only these...
1) Price : SIMCOM is cheapest but there are is a myth they don't work good (bugs, bad series etc..) ... However I'm satisfied from them. the only problem or me was delivery...
2) Features: Wavecom and Telit provide you option to include your program INTO their modules!!! Siemens has some good advantages as build-in Java VM. Sagem modules are very low scale and power consumption...
3) Package ... Some modules are provided with BGA package and in that way you can reduce budget for expensive modem connector !!!

Manufacturer: Price Control
SIMCOM very low external (AT)
Siemens expensive external (AT)
Wavecom expensive Internal (build your program INTO gsm module) or external (AT)... Programming with C++ (Open AT Suite)
Telit expensive Internal (build your program INTO gsm module) or external (AT), nice modules with integrated SIM card holder, GPS etc. (programming Perl)
expensive
Sagem - low price external (AT), very low power and scale factor...

All of these modules you can use and sell in EU without any problems ... They all have such certificates, so that isn'ta problem...

So, you must check in details their specification and features and to choose optimal module for your application...

If you give us some more details about your project we can advise you better :)

Regards.

tc35at.pdf

I need to send messages to a GSM-modem and control the pic. I need also the pic or the GSM-modem if it has a lot of memory,to save the messages to his memory. Do I need to put a ROM-chip or the GSN-modem/PIC is capable to register my sms?

Re: GSM modems

If you use Wavecom or Telit you don't need external memory... They have huge memory inside...
For other options you will need some external memory to store messages...
If you will use only sms - oany gsm module can suit your requirements...
SimCom is at lowest cost... From programming point you will need only several AT command to handle SMS messages... Also you may save messages into SIM Card memory !
:wink: :!: :idea:
For details about AT commands you may view any of manufacturers manuals ...
For example :
**broken link removed**
http://www.telescada.ru/files/gsm/tc35at.pdf

Regards !

Status
Not open for further replies.