getting started with Xilinx, Vivado or ISE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi001

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have experience doing basic digital designs with Altera Quartus and more recently a few embedded projects using Altera NIOS processor and IDE. I also have some embedded C experience.

If I am getting into a Xilinx IDE for the first time, should I use the ISE development environment? Or should I go straight to this new Vivido environment? The first design I will be doing on Xilinx will be a basic digital design.

In my opinion, Vivado contains the same functionalities than the ISE development environment. I have juste look at the vivado video provided by Xilinx and Vivado is just a version more packed.

Reactions: digi001

digi001

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Keep in mind that vivado only supports the latest family 7 fpga's. So if you use for example spartan-6 you can forget about vivado. And given the current prices I'd guess you are not using kintex-7.

Reactions: digi001

digi001

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, I didn't know that. Yes most likely for this design we will be using a spartan 3 or 6 so I guess I am stuck with ISE for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…