Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with SMPS design -Transformer selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogece

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to get started with SMPS design there are lots of application notes with test report available for designing it.

The **broken link removed** has given only the Core type of Ferrite core transformer and its dimension

and there is no mentioning about the operating frequency,voltage,power details

Kindly guide me to get started with a small SMPS design

Hi,

Maybe starting with the transformer is no good idea.

Start selecting a SMPS IC, in it's datasheet you may find information about the transformer.
Then with the frequency select a core material. Then you may find a chart where you can select core size, it depends on frequency, power, SMPS topology.

Klaus

The file you attached does not appear to be a proper datasheet. But more like a sales brochure.

Hi,
Thanks for your Suggestion!!
I have referred many app notes for the same but i couldn't get the transformer with the specifications given by them from the local manufacturer.It might be available with coil carft, wurth electronics.Is there anyway to get started with what is easily available?
Expecting your reply!!
Hi,

Maybe starting with the transformer is no good idea.

Start selecting a SMPS IC, in it's datasheet you may find information about the transformer.
Then with the frequency select a core material. Then you may find a chart where you can select core size, it depends on frequency, power, SMPS topology.

Klaus

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
This is what they give i couldn't ask for more :-(
Any suggestions to get started with what i have?
The file you attached does not appear to be a proper datasheet. But more like a sales brochure.

As Klaus correctly mentioned, you are getting ahead of yourself.

-The very first step, is to write down your requirements. Input voltage range, output voltage and current, relative cost and size, efficiency, etc.
-The second step is to go to the websites for the major IC vendors. You know, Linear Tech, Texas Instruments, ST Micro, ON semi, etc. They have apps that will allow you to decide on the best topology for your requirements and provide with suggested devices.
-The third step is to simulate the circuit with their software, and verify the intended performance.
-Finally, the fourth step is to actually select the magnetic components. Many times the same simulation software will provide suggested transformers and/or inductors. If not, you can go to the transformer's website and use a selector tool like this one: **broken link removed**

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Designing a magnetic component, specially a high frequency transformer, is not a trivial exercise. You would have to understand the B/H curve, flux saturation and its relationship to voltage and time, remanence, core losses, leakage, skin effects, core losses, among other things.

Not to discourage you, but start with the straightforward design, the electrical aspect of it.

Reactions: yogece

yogece

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Radio Shack does or did carry inductors of two different types. I have used these in smps experiments. They might suit your purpose.

Example:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.