Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with HC908 HCS908

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigillo74

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hc908

Hi all, i'm tryng to make sometingh with freescale MCU.
I've more experience with PIC micro and ICD2 programmer and debugger.
Now, i ask you how i get started with freescale MCU with a DIY programmer and debugger ICD2 like.
Thank You.
Luigi.

hc908 programmer

I know this site :
**broken link removed**

it is in french but you have all the things you need to start program and debug the freescale chips...
use google translators to get it to your language !

www.68hc08.net

Kripton2035 said:
I know this site :
**broken link removed**

it is in french but you have all the things you need to start program and debug the freescale chips...
use google translators to get it to your language !

Hi Kripton2035,
i've just view this website, but i have no idea to which programmer build.
I need one prog that make also debug.
Maybe, as i can understood from datasheet, in freescale MCU the debugger mode is implemented on the micro and not on the programmer so the programmer can make also debug function.
Isn't it?
Thank you.

download hc908 programmer

if you look at the following address:
**broken link removed**
you will find 4 alternatives to the programmer/debugger (BDM):
If you don't want to build by yourself your BDM (**broken link removed**), I suggest you to buy a DEMO board (4th suggestion) and using the integrated BDM: you will be able to quickly test your micro using the demo board and, after developing your board you can use the BDM of the demo board.
You can even saw-off the BDM from the demo board and use it as standalone programmer/debugger.
BTW, I suggest you to test the the Processor Expert Beans in the CW developement suite: you will be able to start to write for your microcontroller in few minutes without knowing almost "nothing" of the internals (configuration registers) of the peripherials.
Just as an example, it took me not more than 5 minutes to define and use a RS232 interface combined with a LCD display. I spent more time to wire the devices than test my code!!!

diy bdm programmer

bepobalote said:
if you look at the following address:
**broken link removed**
you will find 4 alternatives to the programmer/debugger (BDM):
If you don't want to build by yourself your BDM (**broken link removed**), I suggest you to buy a DEMO board (4th suggestion) and using the integrated BDM: you will be able to quickly test your micro using the demo board and, after developing your board you can use the BDM of the demo board.
You can even saw-off the BDM from the demo board and use it as standalone programmer/debugger.
BTW, I suggest you to test the the Processor Expert Beans in the CW developement suite: you will be able to start to write for your microcontroller in few minutes without knowing almost "nothing" of the internals (configuration registers) of the peripherials.
Just as an example, it took me not more than 5 minutes to define and use a RS232 interface combined with a LCD display. I spent more time to wire the devices than test my code!!!

Hi bepobalote,
thank you for your suggest.
Please, let me know if i can program the HC08 and HCS08 family with this **broken link removed** BDM because i've all components to build it. Tell me also if i can use it as debugger.
About the DEMO board, i preferr to build my one demo board and test it with the DIY usb BDM.
Thank You.

hc908 code warrior programming

To my knowledge this programmers can be used only on the HCS08 family of devices. I really do not know if it can be used on HC08 devices, because I have never used them... :(
Are you sure you need to work with the HC08 family?

BTW, the BDM is a programmer AND a debugger.
It require you to use only 4 wires: GND, Vcc, BDM pin and Reset.
The great plus of this interface is that you can plug-in the debugger connector on a running micro and you can take a look to the internal micro state (ram, registers, ..) without stopping it!
After using this feature, one of my priority requirement during the choice of a micro is a debugging interface à la BDM.
As I previously wrote, using Processor Expert is another bonus in speeding the developement for those micros.

Another plus (if you are using the JM or QE families) is you can migrate to the same pinout chip but with an internal 32 bit core (with the same peripherials): it can really speed up the execution of your code, especially if your customer asks for more computations/code size.

P.S.: Just take a look to the attached document...

hcs08 lcd display

Tank you for the docuent.
I've read it.
Now, i'm waiting to buil my BDM and after i can use this micro.
Can i program or read my micro directly with code warrior?
I need soe other software to work with this micro?
Thank you.
.:Luigi:.

hc908 lcd

Unfortunately I'm using the Multilink USB-ML-12 and the Demo board BDM so my answer could be not 100% correct.
From what I have read on the previous links, the DIY BDM is directly supported by Code Warrior so you will not need any other HW/SW.

Just curiosity: which family of HCS08 will you use (AW, JM, QE, ...)?

P.S.: I think you are italian, like me...

hc908 programmer software

Hi,
yes, i'm italian too!!
In this form we don't write with our language. :-(
I try to send you a P.M. in italian.
I have not decided which family use because i've some sample of different families of freescale MCU and i'd like to test all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back