Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] getting footrint error in orcad 9.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have created the gerber file in orcad using AUTO----> run post processor menu..... but there i didn't find any option of viewing gerber file... in TOOLS menu i didn't find any gerbtool option.... kindly tell me how can i proceed to see my gerber file and how can i take separte printouts of each layer using the gerber file. thanking you in advance.

There are a lot of free gerber viewers available. I use the free version of ViewMate from Pentalogix at https://www.pentalogix.com/viewmate.php You can import all the gerbers and display any combination of them.

Below are the layers I use for a 2-sided board.

ASB - Assembly, Bottom
AST - Assembly, Top

TOP - Top Layer
BOT - Bottom Layer

DRD - Drill Drawing

SMB - Solder Mask, Bottom
SMT - Solder Mask, Top

SSB - Silk Screen, Bottom
SST - Silk Screen, Top

thank you very much spudboy. please tell me one another thing... when i make a gerber file and sent it to manufacturer to make boards for me.... so how will it determine the size and other specific measurements of the pcb and the components of the pcb? i mean to ask do i need to tell manufacturer what should be the size of my pcb for instance; 9"x12" in ordere to get the proper dimentions of the board or all this information about size of the pcb is present in the orcad layout gerber files???

i have created the gerber file in orcad using AUTO----> run post processor menu..... but there i didn't find any option of viewing gerber file... in TOOLS menu i didn't find any gerbtool option.... kindly tell me how can i proceed to see my gerber file and how can i take separte printouts of each layer using the gerber file. thanking you in advance.

Open the OrCad, don't need to open the board file. Go to Tools on top, click Gerber tool, then choose Open. You then browse your gerber file and open it.

The PCB size is the yellow board outline that you sized earlier with the obstacle tool. The PCB vendor gets the information from the gerbers but I don't remember which one.

thank you alan. kindly help me regarding my #23rd post above.

I don't usually specify any dimension in the MAX file at all. The layout already have all the info, more labeling can only more mistake and confuse the fab house. I do specify the stack up, the thickness of dielectric of every layer as it is very important for RF boards. I even use draw out the stack up in the DRD layer.

thank you alen ... i come across another problem regarding foot print creation... i make a foot print for led as shown in the figure below...

led fp.png

here if you see in left hand side i sketched a sstop layer line to show negative leg of led on pcb ... but i can't see any option in orcad to erase the protion of the circle after that line... how should i do that?

second problem is that the scale on the work place i.e; you can see the white dots each is spaced 100mils from the other dot and while making foot print the sketch jumps for 25 point minimum ... this makes it difficult to draw lines of in between measurements... e.g; if i want to draw a line of 243mills but i can draw the line of discrete values i.e; 225 mills or 250 mills ... how to tackle that point?

thanking you in anticipation..

Attachments

• led fp.png
    led fp.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

thank you alen ... i come across another problem regarding foot print creation... i make a foot print for led as shown in the figure below...

View attachment 84918

here if you see in left hand side i sketched a sstop layer line to show negative leg of led on pcb ... but i can't see any option in orcad to erase the protion of the circle after that line... how should i do that?

second problem is that the scale on the work place i.e; you can see the white dots each is spaced 100mils from the other dot and while making foot print the sketch jumps for 25 point minimum ... this makes it difficult to draw lines of in between measurements... e.g; if i want to draw a line of 243mills but i can draw the line of discrete values i.e; 225 mills or 250 mills ... how to tackle that point?

thanking you in anticipation..

I don't know how to draw arc. I remember there is a problem with it because the draw arc don't work.

One thing good about OrCad, the visible grid is different from place, detail ( which is in your case) and route grid. You can set it independently. Go to "Options" on the top, then choose "System Setting". There, you can set individual interval. The visible grid give you the dots. Then the placement give you the interval when you place the pin. Then in your case, the "Detail" will set the resolution of the SST drawing.

I usually set placement grid for parts and layout to 50mils, routing to 10 or 25 mils. Detail to 5mils. But I use 100 mils for visible grid to see the dots at 100mil square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back