Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gerber Files Panelization - FAB 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbafbeans

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Gerber Panelization

Hello, I am new to this board.

I am trying top panelize gerber files so that I can save on fabrication costs. I purchased a piece of software called Fab 3000. Has anyone here used it before or have any comments on how well it can merge gerbers?

Thanks for any help.

Gerber Panelization

ontact your PCB supplier and ask them if doing it yourself will actually save on fab costs.

I doubt it.

Why you ask?

1) They have to run DRC checks on more than 1 board then.
2) You may not get the panelisation correct to their requirements.

3) The actual panelisation actualy only takes them a fw minutes as it is all scripted, its the DRC checks etc that take longer & you cannot do them yourself, they will always do them.

Re: Gerber Panelization

There are many gerber tools, that offer a similar functionality. Besides special products, also Altium Designer has a full
featured gerber tool that can perform panelization.

I'm using GC Prevue Plus for Gerber editing and e.g. panelization. Doing panelization on your own is mainly interesting
for prototyping, but also for series production with special requirements as designing in-circuit test of complete panels.

Of course you should know about requirements for gerber data in general, also suitable panel sizes and tool sizes for contours milling.

You should verify, that the panelized gerber data contain unequivocal aperture and tool tables and can be read-in again by a gerber tool.

Reactions: bmmm

bmmm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Gerber Panelization

Hi,

I've checked with my manufacturer and they allow for a maximum of three designs on any single gerber file. The tech support guy from the company that makes Fab 3000 says the exported file is readable by any gerber tool and should be ready for manufacturing.

Do you guys know anything about Fab 3000 though? I paid almost 300 dollars for it, I just want to know that it's a good program that can do what I need it to do. Also what is unequivocal aperture mean?

Thanks very much for your responses.

Gerber Panelization

I would expect Fab 3000 to do the job as other similar tools do. Simply start to work with it.

When combining multiple designs, you possibly have different apertures with the same T code. The gerber tool should be able to unify the tool table by assigning new T codes. The same problem can occur with drill diameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back