Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Gerber file: give assembly house or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackyzhangsh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

When I asked a PCB assembly house to solder ICs for me, they asked me for the Gerber files, at least the top and bottom layers.

Could anyone tell me why do they need this? Some of them said they need the Gerber files for applying electric connection test using flying-probe test after soldering, is it true?

And once I have given out the Gerber files to them, how could I prevent the Gerber files (of top and bottom layer) from leaking into any third-party’s hands?

Jack

loosemoose,

Thanks for the answer; no NDA at all.

Another question is that do merely the external layers {top, bottom} suffice for their purpose of generating the NDA?

Jack

They can create a netlist from the gerber data, but only with all layers present and the drill file. Also this netlist when having the pcb FABRICATED, should be verified using IPC-D-356 format data for bare board testing and gGerber data integrity.
If they only want the top and bottom layers it will be to determine the pick and place centroids for populating the boad, and as stated to create a stencil artwork.

senilicus and marce,

I got it, thanks for the answer.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back