Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generation of different waveforms with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krivan

Hi folks,

I have an application where I have to generate a clock for a chip and control five cmos switches. I am totally new to microcontrollers that's why I would like to know which controller would be the best choice for this?

The switches should operate independently, so it would be great to find a controller which can output 5 completely different waveforms of square signals with adjustable duty cycle and frequency.
So practically it should be a frequency synthesizer but with a controller, not on-chip.

Is there a smart way to do this? I appreciate every hints, comments, etc.

Krivan

Hi kerivan,
If freq. about 10-100 Khz is enought, i can give a hint.

for HW side,
R/2R network is suitable for this application, you can find info in attached pdf.
But keep in mind youu need hi pin count microcontroller, because of 5 discrete output requirement. for example you need 5x6=30 GPIO for 2^6=32 output level.

For SW,
You can build a lookup table for different waveforms, and simple algoritm ...

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.