Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating DC 50V DC 1000Amps from 3 phase mains supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiranVSutar

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Forum Members,

I have an enquiry to develop a Microcontroller based unit that converts 3-phase mains supply into 50Volts, 1000Amps. (Max.).

The current Limit is dependant upon the model. We can have 50Amps, 100Amps, 200Amps, 500Amps or 1000Amps (max.).

As per the SetCurrent, I am supposed to change the voltage so that the SetCurrent is achieved.

I have a lot of experience in microcontroller based products, but NOT so much in Power Electronics.

Can somebody give links, Schematics, AppNotes, or help me out on this project?

Thanks.

First figure out the topology you want to use, there are many. Decide about the controller in the end.

The power stage schematics are more or less simple. But a lot of information is missing in a schematic, particularly assembly
technique, wiring. You may want to study how existing multi kW power supply are built. And you should calculate
possible failure of a first or second attempt. It's better to wear hearing protectors when testing your prototype circuits. Exploding
power modules or capacitors are no fun.

Many thanks FvM and umery2k75,

Guess what, I don't even know the topologies.
But I guess, This might work, based on the feedback from customer, other engineers, Internet (particularly EDABoard), etc...

Use a 3phase step down transformer with HexPhase output with Neutral (Secondary Side).
Use 3 sets of SCR-SCR between each Secondary phase. And trigger the SCRs in a sequence to produce the DC.
The SCRs will be having a current rating of 500Amps.

So my queries are:
1. Will the above method work? What should be the exact schematic for this method ? What capacitors/resistors/inductors to use for the safety of the SCRs and my circuitry?
2. Can we use the 3phase Half Bridge Method ? And Can a HexPhase transformer be used for 3phase Half Bridge? Half-Bridge, is the one with SCR-Diode in each phase.
3. I will be providing a lot of Heat Sinking, OverCurrent Safety, and HeatSink Temperature Monitoring. Do I need to take care of any other parameter ?

Assembly technique and Wiring will be taken care of by another Electrical Engineer and is out of scope of my work in this project.

Awaiting your valuable comments. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.