Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating Clean Pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Loh.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have made a keyboard using diodes. The output is in binary. The keyboard is hexadecimal and has 5 outputs. The 5th output is a "key press line". It is essential to differentiate between a 0 and "no key pressed"

My next plan is to put two 4bit registers as a buffer to store an 8bit word.

The 4 register shall be selected by the output of a T filpflop to store the MSB in one register an the LSB in another.

Now since my micro swicthes are noisy, when I attempt to press the key once the key contacts are made more than once.

A debouncer can take care of the time period between the contacts, but not for repeated accidental contacts.

So I am thinking of putting a monostable multivibrator that shall activate on the first key stroke and disable all inputs for ~200ms.

I have two options:
1. 555
2. 74121

The 555 is immune to repeated pulses but not to extended pulses. So if the repeated pulse occurs after the fall of the output, it shall retrigger.

I do not know of the 121 but the datasheet tells that it is edge triggered.

Can anyone suggest a way out ?

I need to have a single key stroke. The person is tempted to press the key harder when the first keystroke does not work. I cannot do away with the switches either.

Please help.

74121 is also immune to repeated pulses (74122 and 123 are not).
555 is falling edge triggered, 74121 has 2 inputs: A and B and can therefore be trigged at rising or falling edge, at your selection. From that point of view, 74121 seems to be more universal option..
Regards,
IanP

This is what debouncing does, it eliminates the extra pulses generated by the contacts opening and closing a few times before firm cotact is made. Generally, 20ms is used.

The best debouncing is a D flip-flop, clocked at 50Hz. The key is connected to the D input and the Q and Q/ outputs will be clean. Try it.

Lord Loh.

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Good idea... Thanks man... I was thinking of only monostable multivibrators....

The text book I read had debouncers with RS Flip Flops without any clocking... Pity I couldn't see beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back