Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generate electricity from vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockman_akim

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hye all,

im doing research in generating electricity from vibration or pressure. I found that piezo element in piezo buzzer can generate mili volt of voltage. it not practical because i need a lot of piezo element to get minimum of 18v. is there any other component that can generate an electricity other than piezo element to harvest an energy from vibration or pressure?

A while back I looked for a piezo replacement but couldn't find any. You might have to stick with piezo for your research.

What kind of pressure is applied? How about using the pressure to cause compression of an elastic object so that the object stores energy as elastic strain energy? Maybe you can get the object to unload and store the energy in a capacitor or battery. Or you can get a magnet to move inside a coil upon application of the pressure. It seems quite interesting as a field of research.

guys,

thanks for reply, i found this piezo sensor, it can genarate up to 90v VAC https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9196.
im not so sure how much watt of power it can produce, however im still figure it out how to store the energy? im thingking off using the solar charger. But for sure i need to step down the voltage and change to DC by using rectifier circuit. Is there any good idea rather then using solar charger?

You can use peltier. This is different from this but you can get some usefull current, even to power small motors.

The primary questions are "how much do I need?" and "how much
can I catch?". Usually the math is disappointing. But it can save
you a bunch of wasted work.

The lengths people will go to to, to eliminate a 10-year $3 lithium
coin cell, are pretty funny if you're not in their shoes.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3588-2

4349_app_1.jpg

4349_app_2.jpg

im not so sure how much watt of power it can produce
There are two possible approaches:
- refer to the detailed transducer data. In the present case you have a capacitance specification that can be used to estimate impedances and power levels, depending on the characteristic (frequency and magnitude) of the vibration source. I would expect microwatts rather than watts.

- ignore transducer behaviour and estimate the available mechanical power as an upper bound for recoverable power (conservation of energy law applies anyway). In most cases, it will be very low.

Detail engineering problems like voltage conversion and energy storage can be discussed if still meaningful after the general feasibility check.

Status
Not open for further replies.