Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generate bias voltage of power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_ambi

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the best way to generate bias voltage VB1, VB2 and VB3?

9349404000_1360469686.jpg

What is the best way to generate bias voltage VB1, VB2 and VB3?
Hi analog_ambi
It depends on you !
Perhaps using a zener diode and then tie the biasing resistor to the supply voltage .
or if high value of DC current is required ( that won't be required for such circuit ) using a current driver or perhaps using an auxiliary DC supply .
A question :
What is application of your circuit ? is that a class E or F amplifier ? ( i've some doubts because you didn't mention anything from your outlets )
or perhaps a fast inverting system ? or perhaps an SMPS ? you should mention application of such circuit or specifications of your circuit as well , then i can guide you as well .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

This circuit will be power amplifier for ultra low power RF transmitter with EIRP=-5dBm and freq=2.4GHz. The first stage shall be class AB but the last stage is class A (cant help due to linearity requirement of modulation). Everything is integrated CMOS.

The methods suggested by u will consume lot of power! My budget is 500uW.

This circuit will be power amplifier for ultra low power RF transmitter with EIRP=-5dBm and freq=2.4GHz.
Hi again

may i ask you why you're not using something like Gali-5 or perhaps Gali-6 or maybe Gali-55 ? these are so good for such a purpose .
The first stage shall be class AB
May i ask you why ?
last stage is class A
You can design a class E or C or perhaps F amplifier , in linear mode ( linear in your desired range of frequency ) it is up to the designer . or using a compact amplifier like Gali series .
But if you are still interested in your circuit , you can easily handle that voltage biasing with two resistors ( two high value resistors ) to prepare the required biasing voltage . it can be obtained from each one of the available supplies in your circuit .
By the way don't forget , that you should use an RFC in this section to avoid from interferences between RF stage and DC stage .
That's all
Best Wishes + Good luck
Goldsmith

goldsmith:

I am designing a cmos IC transmitter. By gali-5 do u mean discrete component? Mine is a IC design issue.

Are u sure class E , F and C can handle linearity requirement of QPSK modulation? The peak to average ratio for my case is 4dB.

I am wondering, why Class AB is used in voltage amplification stage and Class A in power amplification stage? We do the opposite at audio frequencies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back