Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gate resistor of a MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa_am

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
there is a question. to design proper drive I implement a very simple circuit. I turn on a DC lamp with a MOSFET. why when I reduce gate resistor ( from 120ohm to 18ohm), the mosfet does not get fully saturated and the lamp turn on with reduced light and mosfet gets hot. obviously it work in active region. why? , while with reduced gate resistor it must be get saturated rapidly.
I would be appreciated if you reply to my question.

hi,
Is the Gate resistor in series with the Gate input or from Gate to 0V.?
E

I guess you managed to build an oscillator. This can happen if the circuit has large source inductance, e.g. on a breadboard. In this case a large gate resistor is helpful to stop oscillations.

the resistor is series between driver and MOSFET. The driver is implemented on PCB and wired to mosfet; the distance is about 20cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.