Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate length to prevent hot electron transistor shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubink

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to track down some recommendations about gate lengths to prevent shifts in nmos transistor parameters vs Vds for 0.25um & 0.35um.
In the past I have come across tables from the foundry but I can't find any such information at the moment.
From memory I think the effect is worst when Vds = max (Vcc) and Vgs = ~ 0.5*Vcc.

thanks,
R

This is very foundry specific data. For one foundry I worked with in the past, 1um gate length was considered safe in most conditions.
You are right in your assertion about most dangerous operating mode.

it depends, switching devices like inverters can be minimum length at full vcc (say 3.3v). non-precision analog like current mirrors would be 2x digital minimum, and precision mos like diffamp input stage should be very long and wide for matching. i usually find that hci is most problematic for high voltage constant current sources. but good matching always pushes my transistors to several x the process minimum, to the point where hci is not an issue.

i don't know a condition where i would run a device at vgs=1/2vds open loop. usually current is regulated by some other device closed loop. what's your application, specifically?

My application is also for current mirrors & sources. The Vgs will depend on
sizing, current etc. The Vds will usually be less than Vcc but it may get close occasionally. I noticed that in Johns & Martin's Analog IC design book they recommended using longer devices for the cascode device in a cascoded mirror to reduce the stress on this device.
Somewhere else I read that the barrier between the Si and SiO2 is 3.1eV
which could mean the effect goes away below 0.35um but this is just a guess.

I tracked down some data for a 0.35um cmos process:
For Vds =< 2.5V minimum gate length is fine.
For Vds =< 3.6V nmos gate length should be 1um & pmos 1.7um (for worst case Vgs = 0.5 Vds)
Really I am after 0.25u information but this gives some idea.

In baker 2nd vol. he talks of keeping the gate lengths as high as 10 times the minimum feature size for subm and deep-subm technologies.
But , this must be take care of all the effects including hotelectrons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back