Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate current selection - gate driver chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwdevotee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gate current

I'm looking at gate driver chips right now, and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting somethign in looking at this. I want a 10kHz minimum switching frequency of the FET, and the FET I'm looking at has about a 1000nC gate charge at 15V. The gate driver has a maximum current of 1A at 15V, so I shoul dbe able to provide the charge needed by the gate in 1000ns or 1µs. Since 1µs is much smaller than the PWM period (100µs) I'm shooting for I should be good, right? Am I missing something here? Obviously I would love to have a charge time in femtoseconds, but will microseconds work? Thanks!

Gate current selection

OK, so 2A might be a better choice. How did you come to that? If this were the only time I thought I would need to figure thisout I'd go with your recommendation, but for future reference it might be nice to know the engineering rationale behind the choice. I once read the the gate driver curerent needs to be greater than n*f*Q; where n is the number of gates being driven, f is the switching frequency, and Q is the gate charge. While simplae and easy to remember it seems like this could have the gates only partially open for most of their 'on' time. I think my question ultimately boils down to something like 'what's an acceptable switching fraction for a FET or an IGBT?

Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.