Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate Control voltage, Vgs, values for IRF6216pbf MOSFET device

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan_pec

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Check the attached jpeg file (schematic n description) regarding circuit of IRF6216pbf MOSFET.

IRF6216pbf is a HEXFET mosfet from International Rectifiers.
I am using it to switch on/off the PIN diode based RF channel.
TO switch OFF the channel, PIN diode should be biased with -75V and to switch it ON, PIN diode should be biased with +1.84V.

AS shown in figure, I am getting +1.84V at the Drain terminals only when I left the Vgs (gate terminal) open .
Kindly advise me on this circuit as well as on my requirement.

Thanks
rajan

Attachments

• mosfet query.jpg
    mosfet query.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 133

Observation: 100 ohm POT(R84) in the source terminal needs to be removed & instead of +1.8V ,minimum +5V to be given at Source terminal.
Now , if gate is at +5V, then -75V will be available at drain (or R86) & if gate is at 0V, then +5V (source terminal voltage) will be available at drain (or R86).

But I am unable to understand that How presence of a POT (R84) is affecting it?

Comments plz
Regards,
Rajan

The VGS(th) (Gate Threshold Voltage) specs are -5.0v max with the following conditions VDS = VGS, ID = -250μA

Useable Vgs start from about -7v but the needed Vgs will depend on your load current requirement.
You should start from Vgs=-7v so 1.84v + 7v = 8.84v (it's better if you go higher, up to about 15v for lower Rds-ON)

To turn the mosfet off you can just ground the gate (Vgs=+1.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.