Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage door opener controller via WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_ngine

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to build a circuit to control my garage door opener over WiFi.

I figured the WiFi part but I have problems with the circuit-to-opener communications:

1) Most circuit I have seen online directly connect the circuit to the opener via wires. Unfortunately my model of opener is pretty new (liftmaster 8355, with security+ 2.0) so it seems I cannot just short two of the header inputs to force the opening. It seems there is some non-trivial communication going on over those wires (from the wall controller to the opener on the ceiling). Does anyone has some information about this?

2) Alternatively if option (1) is not doable I was thinking to embed the same radio controller used in remotes into it so that the circuit, once paired, can actually sit anywhere in the garage instead of hanging from the opener, a cleaner setup. I have been looking on the internet but haven't find any source of inspiration or indication of which IC to use: I'm assuming there must be a single IC doing the whole thing (security+ 2.0 rolling). Any idea?

To activate the opener, your remote sends a more-or-less unique code. (There may be 1,000 or 10,000 or a million different security codes.) This avoids having neighbors open each other's garages. Even if you manage to duplicate your opener's code precisely, can you be certain it never changes?

Old fashioned openers have two screws on the outside, for connecting wires. You short circuit these to activate the opener. If you do not find two screws, then I think you can only succeed by opening up the housing, and finding the relay which activates the opener. Connect your wifi in custom fashion to this relay. Even if you do that, expect it to require more work on your part to make it reliable.

I know, new openers use rolling code algorithms to communicate with remotes... that is why I was trying to figure out if there are all-in-one ICs to manage the rolling and storage part, so that all I have to do is make a PCB housing the battery, the loop antenna and few other things without managing the algorithm or the RF signal generation. I actually ordered a remote online on Amazon that claims to be compatible with my opener, I hope to be able to read the IC's PN.

My opener do have screws, but I have been told shorting the ones connected to the wall controller does not open/close the door. In fact, I contacted the guy behind GarageMate (https://bluemate.com/) and he confirmed my opener is not compatible with his circuit which is operating the opener the way I was planning to. I agree with you I could hook something to the actuator itself... but that is quite risky... I wanted to keep it less invasive.

Thanks!

Just about everything these days uses some type of microcontroller.

Even a humble garage door opener probably uses serial data to communicate rather than just an open/closed contact across two screws.

You may need to capture the signal on a storage oscilloscope and try to figure out what it all does. Not impossible, but not simple either.

Right. I was hoping in a shortcut in IC form.
I will check the IC into the remote I will receive.

Worst case (I cannot recognize the IC in the remote or I cannot find a way to get some) I will hook my circuit to push the remote's button instead of the opener's.

I will check the IC into the remote I will receive.

Worst case (I cannot recognize the IC in the remote or I cannot find a way to get some) I will hook my circuit to push the remote's button instead of the opener's.

Your project idea sounds good...
The model number or type of the remote will be useful to identify easily. Maybe some one in the forum might have used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back