Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gain Boost (Regulated Cascode) for cascoded cs amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric84940

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm wondering if the gain boosting circuit below will malfunction or not?

Compare to the normal gain boosting circuit, it seems that both have almost the same voltage gain.

I suppose that Vds1 in the fig. fluctuates more than the normal one, but does it have any other lethal disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!
[moderator action: removed link to external file server]

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm wondering if the gain boosting circuit below will malfunction or not?

Compare to the normal gain boosting circuit, it seems that both have almost the same voltage gain.

I suppose that Vds1 in the fig. fluctuates more than the normal one, but does it have any other lethal disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!
[moderator action: removed link to external file server]

Attachments

• 7C4FB7C6-5559-4B02-89BC-8377E44F7DD2.jpeg
    7C4FB7C6-5559-4B02-89BC-8377E44F7DD2.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 115

You are trying to force ground to be equal to Vin. It does not work until Vin is set to 0.
In simpler words, this circuit is not functional as gain boosted amplifier, rather as open loop two stage amplifier (comparator, comparing Vin with ground)

Hi,

ar you sure you want the inverting input connected to GND?

What is the target: Voltage_gain or current_gain?

Klaus

Hi,

ar you sure you want the inverting input connected to GND?

What is the target: Voltage_gain or current_gain?

Klaus

I'm targeting on the voltage gain.

The strange idea popped as I saw Fig. 9.26(a) in "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits, 2nd" by B.Razavi.

I am wondering if the transconductance of M1 I drew in #2 can also be boosted by A1 just like the reference book indicates? (Although it can't be called as typical "gain boost" now)

And will the circuit work? (Even if it's an open loop circuit)

Attachments

• gain boost.JPG
    gain boost.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back