Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full bridge suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomecma

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to control a electronic throttle valve (DC motor), with this characteristics:

> Vcc = 14V
> L = 1H
> R = 1R8

the best sollution that I find is INFINEON BTS7710, but in this device I have to control all transistors and it's difficult to buy. The inrush current of the motor is about 8A. I have some questions:

1) the device had to suport 8A, during start cycle, Am I true?
2) anyone know another bridge that supports this load, and has built-in logic, e.g has a direction pin and a PWM pin only?
3) in car electronic throttle valve control can I use a soft starter to avoid this inrush current? What time can I lost without reduce performance?

Another sollution is INTERNATIONAL RETIFIER IR3220, but this device suports only 5A continuous and I have to put some discrete devices around them. If do I put soft start it can be used? But is a safe design? Datasheet don't bring information about pulsed current, how can I get this value if I have only continuous current? There are some laws, like for example, in pulsed mode I can drive 2 x continuous current or similar thing?

thanks,

leomecma

Hi,
As per the datasheet of the IR3220 the 5A current rating is if your IC is kept in an ambient of 105C where exactly are you going to place your unit
In case of passenger rooms we consider Ta max to be 85C

Shutdown current for the IC is 30A so in case of starting inrush current there wont be any problem unless the junction temperature of the IC is not going beyond the specification (150C)

Instruite, do you have another suggestion about bridge? others types, or manufactures? I'm not sure about IR3220, because I'm afraid with the life cycle of this device .... and the external components reduce the comfiability. But bridge of Infineon is difficult to buy and need some pins of my processor, but has a high current capability. If you know a good bridge, simple to drive, and easy to buy please give me the link

thanks,

leomecma

leomecma,
For Power devices we normally prefer Infineon, IRF or ST
and If you wana use less pins of your microcontrollers then you can use a H-Bridge driver IC and then drive 4 discrete power mosfets to vontrol the motor
you can search the websites of above manufacturers for the same

Are you designing this circuit for hobby or for commercial purpose?
if its commercial purpose then there will be other issues to concerned about.

It's for commercial purpose, what issues are you commented?

leomecma

If its for automotive product then
you have to check if the Component is automotive grade or not?
IRF, Infineon and ST all provide automotive grade components but their part numbers may be bit different than industrial grade components.

Depending on the installation location of your circuit (engine room max ambient temperature - 125C and compartment or trunt or passenger room max ta = 85C)
so you will have to calculate the maximum power dissipated at maximum ambient temperature and make sure your IC junction temperature does not go above Tjmax specified in datasheet

Then for automotive applications there are surge specifications (of every automotive manufacturer you will have to check with your customer) and your circuit has to comply with those specifications

after you are sure of all the specifications and you need help deciding a copmponent let me know

I has changed the motor (an electronic throttle valve of FIAT MAREA 2.0 20V, with 2.5 ohms and about 1 Henry (about Φ = 60mm), I have tested it and with an voltage avarage of 5V this is full open), and I'll use TLE5206. This is a project to convert diesel engines for GNC, with DUAL technique, e.g the diesel works as the spark. How diesel engines doesn't have throttle valve I have to introduce one, for control the rpm.. At first I'll use it for moving a electrical generator for industries, then I'll introduce it in trucks and bus. And this bridge has some advantages, only three pins compatible with 3V3 MCUs, without need mosfet drivers.

thanks so much for your suggestions,

leomecma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back