Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full-Bridge SMPS with coupled output inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Coupling the inductors of a dual output full-bridge smps means that the inductance of an output inductor depends on how much current the other output is flowing through its winding ?

I think coupled inductor serve following two purpose
1) An energy storage element
2) A transformer for ripple current (and hence voltage) reduction

Mostly I have seen this to used to reduce output filter capacitor requirement (one has to use in multiphase operation) or load regulation. In both of these cases I believe design intent to keep inductance fix or in narrow range.

Thankyou but i profess that there is no energy storage in the coupled inductor that i speak about.

it is set up like a transformer...there is no energy storage.

The coil that is no on load sees a large inductance and so much less current flows to that output....which is the wanted effect because otherwise it would overvoltage.

So does the inductance of each arm of the coupled inductor change as the opposite arm flows more or less current?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back