Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuel Injector Firing circuit/Clamping circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I was looking for some input as to what the two diodes in this circuit does:

LH3ggxo.png

I believe they're for clamping, but I'm not sure. The input is just a thermistor.

The following is a fuel injector driver (low side driver):

fpUbFN9.png

Is the reason there isn't a freewheeling diode because the injector needs a quick turnoff? If this is true, would you forego the diode for a FET of adequate Vds rating?

Thank you!

Best,
Oscar

Hi there,

I was looking for some input as to what the two diodes in this circuit does:

LH3ggxo.png

I believe they're for clamping, but I'm not sure. The input is just a thermistor.

The following is a fuel injector driver (low side driver):

fpUbFN9.png

Is the reason there isn't a freewheeling diode because the injector needs a quick turnoff? If this is true, would you forego the diode for a FET of adequate Vds rating?

Thank you!

Best,
Oscar

Yes the diodes in the first picture are standard clamps which keep the signal at a voltage between those two rails.

I don't know enough about the load (I.E whether it may have some protection itself) in the second picture but note that that's a "protected mosfet". It has active clamping at 40V.

A half bridge driver ensures low impedance rise/fall times and bipolar rail diode clamps clip the back EMF voltage outside the rails to 1 diode drop. Off driver state is used between pulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.