Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FTDI FT232BM/BL USB Bus Powered Circuit with Power Ctrl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ft232bm/bl

Hi! May I know wat does the power ctrl do in the circuit? I dont really understand it even after I read thro that section in its datasheet. Can anyone helps me with this?

The notes are as below:

"USB Bus powered circuits need to be able to power down in USB suspend mode in order to meet the <= 500uA total suspend current requirement (including external logic). Some external logic can power itself down into a low current state by monitoring the PWREN# pin. For external logic that cannot power itself down in that way, the FT232BL provides a simple but effective way of turning off power to external circuitry during USB suspend.

**broken link removed**

Figure 16 shows how to use a discrete P-Channel Logic Level MOSFET to control the power to external logic circuits. A suitable device could be a Fairchild NDT456P, or International Rectifier IRLML6402, or equivalent. It is recommended that a “soft start” circuit consisting of a 1K series resistor and a 0.1 uF capacitor are used to limit the current surge when the MOSFET turns on. Without the soft start circuit there is a danger that the transient power surge of the MOSFET turning on will reset the FT232BL, or the USB host / hub controller. The values used here allow attached circuitry to power up with a slew rate of ~12.5 V per millisecond, in other words the output voltage will transition from GND to 5V in approximately 400 microseconds.

Alternatively, a dedicated power switch i.c. with inbuilt “soft-start” can be used instead of a MOSFET. A suitable power switch I.C. for such an application would be a Micrel (www.micrel.com) MIC2025-2BL or equivalent."

In fact, i'm trying to use the ADuM1201 Dual-Channel Digital Isolators to build an Opto-Isolated USB Interface for the USB adapter that i m planning to make. For special purpose, i hv to make the circuit isolated in terms of signal n power (n maybe shield isolation as well).

Wat does the external circuity refer to? Wat is that Soft Start circuit?

Thx 4 any help provided in advanced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back