Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] FT232RL wrong voltage at VCCIO and 3V3OUT pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

estratos

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Similar to this user:
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/210881/

I'm having problems with a custom FT232RL board. I've designed lots of FT232-based boards in the past, but always with an additional LDO to power my MCU from Vbus (5V). This time I want the FT232RL to power my MCU from its internal 3.3V LDO but voltage at the VCCIO and 3V3OUT pins is higher than that:

With my MCU board unplugged: VCCIO = 3.3VOUT = 4.1 V
With my MCU board plugged: VCCIO = 3.3VOUT = 3.8 V

Apart from this issue, the board is working well (USB comms, UART comms, LED's, etc).

This is my circuit:
FT232RL.png

100nF decoupling capacitors are close to VCCIO and 3V3OUT pins. Additionally, I've tried placing some other values like 10uF and 1uF but nothing changes.

Thanks guys for your feedback!

Last edited:

FYI, I've found where the problem is. My FTDI IC's where bought from an eBay store, all showing a ref number "0550-A". Well none of these chips are able to regulate to 3.3V. Using new FT232RL IC's purchased from Mouser solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.