Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FT232 > Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_O

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Bonjour,

I plan to built my own RS232 to USB adapter instead to buy the small FT232RL shield on line ...

I studied the data sheet of the manufacturer FTDI.

I guessed that FT232RL is a 28 Pin SSOP package. Very small to weld on a pcb adaptor with a soldering iron.

On AliExpress I found pcb adapter for 28 pins SOP and SSOP packages and one supplier who sale FT232RL in SOP package (easier to weld with an soldering iron) instead of SSOP package !

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BU2wrR
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTDRvr

My question :
Is it possible that FT232RL exist also in SOP ?

Merci beaucoup.

😷

I guessed that FT232RL is a 28 Pin SSOP package.
Why are you guessing if you read the datasheet? It's surely SSOP (0.65 mm pin distance), no SOP (1.27 mm) version available. The "SOP" at AliExpress is erroneous. There are development modules like MM232R if you have problems to solder recent SMD packages.

Why are you guessing if you read the datasheet? It's surely SSOP (0.65 mm pin distance), no SOP (1.27 mm) version available. The "SOP" at AliExpress is erroneous. There are development modules like MM232R if you have problems to solder recent SMD packages.
Yes. I know, data sheet is the reference. That the reason I looked in. Because I had a doubt when I saw the ad on Ali.
Interesting solution MM232R, but a little bit expensive ... 🤔
And for FT232RQ (8 x 4 pins) I never found the appropriate PLCC socket with 8 pins on each 4 sides, but 2 sides with 7 pins and 2 sides with 9 pins. 😕

FT232RQ is QFN (chip scale) package, not PLCC. There's no economic socket for these package type.

MM232R is an example, there might be cheaper modules on the market.

You don't need much skill to solder single sided PCB with SSOP or QFN packages on a hot plate.

FT232RQ is QFN (chip scale) package, not PLCC. There's no economic socket for these package type.

MM232R is an example, there might be cheaper modules on the market.

You don't need much skill to solder single sided PCB with SSOP or QFN packages on a hot plate.
Thanks for your advice.
Yes, for welding one or two IC, and not 100, the soldering iron should fit.
I will try this way.
Merci.
Eric

Hi,

FvM talked about "hot plate soldering"
But the video does not show hot plate soldering.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.