Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Fried ohmmeter circuit of Vellman DVM890F

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro0ter

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I was the proud owner of an Vellman DVM890F but unfortunately I can`t seem to accurately measure resistors anymore. Actually it can`t measure resistors at all, I get LOTS OF NOISE when doing so.

After a couple of days I decided to open it and I digged in for half an hour. I then found that the dial corresponding to 200MegaOhm is toasted (burnt). I hope I will be able to fix it with conductive silver paint.

The thing is that I could not see anything on the circuit board, I carefully inspected it but I was unable to detect any other anomalies. No broken resistors, no swollen capacitors, no exploded transistors.

Please help me fix my multimeter, I really need it.

Thank you

Here, some pictures with my multimeter`s board and closeup of the problem. This is the first time I opened it (if changing battery doesn`t count), the white areas are from the manufacturing process.

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

That’s pretty hard to rebuild the PCB area, need to check(replace) also Q1 and D12, see the attached diagrams.

Attachments

• multimeter_890F.GIF
    multimeter_890F.GIF
    99 KB · Views: 169
  • DVM890_photo.JPG
    DVM890_photo.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 149
Thank you, mister_rf, I`ll try to verify Q1 and D12.

Q1 is a s9013h but unfortunately I don`t know the specifications of D12. If you have further details, I`ll be grateful.

The main problem is that it won`t measure any resistance (not just the 200ko). If I use a crocodile cable and directly link the appropriate terminals, the ohmmeter displays fictive noisy data. The continuity module works as expected.

I`ll get back with details. Thanks again,
ro0ter

Thanks for the quick reply. Couldn`t see what D12 is in the attached scheme.

Praised be mister_rf, for he just saved my ohmmeter.

Although the transistor was not fried, the diode was actually a simple jumper wire. I replaced both and I get EXACT readings.

It would have been a pity to throw it away. Regarding the fried part of the PCB, I was able to fix it with silver paint (Electon 40 AC from amepox). I hope it would last. Maybe I should have used epoxy conductive glue.

Thank you,
ro0ter

PS: I couldn`t read the components in the scheme you attached because I had a low resolution at home. I could clearly see everything from work. Need to upgrade my screen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back