Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Shift Keying FSK method for wireless power transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

areebaa

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
I would like to design and test a FSK modulation method so that it can be used for wireless power transfer receiver Coil.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hi,

Afaik FSK is for data transmitting, but you talk about power transmitting.

What do you realy want to do?

Klaus

thanks
I mean to use it with power + data transmission in an inductive coupling.
if already power transmission design exists could we use FSK modulated signals over power coil ? if yes How to design such FSK modulator

Hi,

Afaik FSK is for data transmitting, but you talk about power transmitting.

What do you realy want to do?

Klaus

Are you talking about the smart cards that get the power from the RF signal? Don't expect too much power...

Should be possible but FSK is just a change in frequency to represent a zero or one. Send the data to modulate the oscillator frequency at one end and use a PLL to recover it at the other.

I suspect the 'smart cards' are RFID which uses a different system altogether.

Brian.

I'm not aware of an inductively coupled smart card standard using FSK for reader-to-tag communication. Mostly ASK.

The reverse channel is using load modulation (also AM), partly with sub-carrier.

Are you talking about the smart cards that get the power from the RF signal?

I should have been more careful. I meant 'something like the smart cards that receive power from the RF signal'...

But FSK system too use a carrier and the carrier can be rectified to charge a capacitor to drive a small detector...

Back to the OP's last question
if already power transmission design exists could we use FSK modulated signals over power coil ? if yes How to design such FSK modulator
You are talking about a proprietary system designed by yourself or a system according to an existing industry standard? Which communication direction do you intend, power transmitter to receiver, reverse direction or both?

Popular Qi standard is e.g. implementing a reverse communication channel by load ("backscatter") modulation, a kind of AM with bi-phase bit coding.

Hi ,
I would like to design and test a FSK modulation method so that it can be used for wireless power transfer receiver Coil.
Thanks
Simplest way is to use a digital frequency divider, and switch between two different division ratios.
It really depends on the operating frequency and how far you wish to shift the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back