Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency of operation ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

barath_87

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a positive edge trigerred flip flop that would work at a frequency of say fmax .Now I connect another similar flip flop but a negative edgetriggered one at the o/p of the first flip flop(the positive edge triggered one ) .Now what would be the operating frequency of the complete block in terms of fmax and how.
Pls clarify my doubt . Thank you in advance.

40_1181236807.jpg

Please check the image.
It does depend on which of the signals you are going to use as the clock. if you use the last one, then f = fmax/4, the middle one is fmax/2.

if they are synchronous it will be 2*fmax. draw the timing diagram and check it. that is the best way to clear these doubts.

It operates with the same frequency fmax..

It would still be fmax. Simply because its the clock you are providing.
But I guess what you would like to know is may be what is the throughput i.e data output per clock cycle. Well throughput would be 2 times of what it would be if you were not using any -ive edge triggered flipflops.
Hope it helps, if not the pls elaborate what exactly you are looking for?
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

A synchronous block working off a clock woth fmax freq will operate at fmax freq irrespective of whether we use +ve or _ve edge trigger flops in the block. we need to be careful wuth the timing of such blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back