Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Divider - a circuit with specified output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monady

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Frequency Divider

Hi dear all friends,
I need a frequency divider, I used of Johnson counter but this circuit couldn’t obtain my requirements. For example in Johnson counter with 4 D-FF, Output is Vdd for 1*Ts and 0 for 7*Ts. But I need a circuit which its output be Vdd for 0.5*Ts and 0 for 7.5*Ts.

Your help will be appreciated

Re: Frequency Divider

Monady,
If your clock is symmetrical (50% duty cycle), then you can use a frequency doubler to obtain a clock that is double the frequency of the original clock. See **broken link removed**. You don't need to use a delay line. You can use an RC low pass followed by a Schmitt Trigger.
Use this clock as the input to an 8 stage Johnson counter. Decode states 0 and 8 to get the desired output.
A word of caution about the Johnson counter. If it ever gets into an invalid sequence, it will never get out without some extra logic to detect the invlid states a force the counter into a valid state.
Regards,
Kral

Monady

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Frequency Divider

Dear Karl Thx for your reply.
first of all i should say it that i use of this block in my circuit and i must design all parts of it(Transistor level), thus i can't use of any Schmitt Trigger IC.besides i think that mentioned circuit can't solve my problem.desired output attached, may be i couldn't explain it well.

Re: Frequency Divider

Monady,
I see what you're trying to do. Can you just logically "And" your Johnson counter output with the clock?
Regards,
Kral

Monady

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back