Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

frequency analyzer or spectrum analyzer troubleshotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When troubleshotting a circuit using a frequency analyzer or spectrum analyzer what can it tell the electronic tech how the circuit it wrong?

I use a function generator set at Squarewaveform that goes to the input of a circuit, i use the frequency analyzer on the output of each stage to troubleshoot each stage of the circuit

If the stages are faulty or components are shorted or open what would the frequency analyzer display?

When i have used a frequency analyzer is displays each frequency components amplitude + frequency

So if the amplitude is lower or higher on some of the frequencys what would that mean when troubleshooting a circuit? a resistor is open or shorted? thats why it raised or lowered the amplitude at those frequencys displaying on the frequency analyzer?

How would you guys use a frequency analyzer when troubleshooting ?

Added after 1 hours 14 minutes:

A spectrum analyzer shows you what frequencies are contained in the signal you are measuring and what is the amplitude of each of these frequencies.

Yes, i know this is the basics

But when your troubleshooting stages or a circuit What are some basic or general spectrum analyzer problems? like would the frequencys be wrong or the amplitudes be wrong? and if they are what components or steps would you take after this?

Is it mostly a RC component problem ? Capacitors set the frequencys and resistors set the amplitudes of circuits and networks

So if the spectrum analyzer is displaying wrong amplitudes would mean its a faulty resistor in the stage? or network?

IF the spectrum analyzer is displaying wrong frequencys would it mean its a faulty capacitor in the stage? or network?

It appears you are working on a relatively low frequency, say, less than 1MHz, as you are applying square wave signal. If this is the case I would not recommend a spectrum analyzer for trouble shooting, instead ordinary oscilloscope is a better choice to understand what is going on. And I would also recommend to apply sine wave signal. Square wave is sometimes useful, as it would give frequency response at a glance.
Well, this all depends what you are testing, but you have not mentioned.
What is it? An audio amplifier?
S. H.

But how would u use a frequency analyzer

When testing a circuit or network why would i use a frequency analyzer?

I have not heard of "frequency analyzer" before. I presume you are referring to spectrum analyzer, which shows spectral content of input signal. It will show how much harmonic contents the signal has, and also show non-harmonic spurious signals. What is your interested frequency range? Then, I can take more examples.
S. H.

How do "oscillations" look or display on a spectrum analyzer? What do they look like please?

How do "Harmonics" look or display on a spectrum analyzer? What do they look like please?

How do "waveform distortion" look or display on a spectrum analyzer? What do they look like please?

They also give hard numbers for signal to noise ratios, also critical for RF circuits.

How do "Noise" look or display on a spectrum analyzer? What do they look like please?

How do "non-harmonic spurious signals" look or display on a spectrum analyzer? What do they look like please?

What are some faulty or defective stages viewed or display on the spectrum analyzer? what would they look like?

Would the harmonics be "missing"?

Would there be added harmonics is its oscillations?

Would the harmonics have different amplitudes?

Would the harmonics had noise on them?

Please give more examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back