Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA Starter Kit Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stigmatist

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am new to FPGA design and want to purchase a starter kit. By the way I am not new to digital design so I want to purchase a kit that I can use later after getting basic knowledge on Verilog. I do not know for which applications I will use this board but I can build some project on DSP. I am in Turkey and one of my friends will get me a starter kit from USA and I have only one week to select the kit.

My budget is up to 250$ at most.

I am between NEXYS3 SPARTAN-6 FPGA BOARD and Spartan-3E Starter Kit. I am glad to hear any more suggestions.

Thank all of you for your help in advance.

Regards.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

One of my friends is using Altera DE0 but I am not sure about Altera since Xilinx is more common and I have little experience from my laboratory courses with ISE

Last edited:

You might be interested in this comprehensive list of Cheap FPGA Development Boards.

With your budget, I would go with a Spartan-6 board - probably the Digilent Atlys if you can get the academic discount (USD 199). It has a good range of interesting peripherals on board, is increasingly popular so there is a reasonably amount of community support for it, and you can get a wide range of fairly cheap "PMod" add-ons. Compared to the Nexys3, it adds HDMI input and output, gigabit Ethernet, DDR2 memory, and a much larger FPGA (which is always useful for DSP applications).

For development, I recommend buying the best board you can afford! I've got a big box of lower specced development boards that I've had to upgrade to fit more complicated designs to demonstrate this point.

I haven't had anything to do with Altera, but there certainly seems to be a wider selection of boards for Xilinx parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.