Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA max frequency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tariq786

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have synthesized a design in FPGA. According to synthesis report, it should run at 200 MHz.After place and route, when i do the post place and route (P&R) simulation with back annotation, it hardly runs at 50 MHZ (20ns) or (#10 clk = ~clk)

So can i safely say that 60 MHZ is the true frequency of the design or should i stick to synthesis estimate.

Moreover, with timing constraints such as period constraint of 10ns, P&R does not complain (it actually says, it has met the constraint). But when i do the post P&R simulation with back annotation, i get 50 MHZ or 20ns.

This is baffling me. Can someone throw light from his/her experience??

You should try to understand why the simulation(s) & STA runs are not aligning better.

tariq786

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ideally they should match. I dont know why are they not aligned. The only thing is that one is static and the other is dynamic.

Any hints or pointers????

What timing path is specifcally failing in the simulation?
Report that timing path in STA to determine where the discrepancy lies.

tariq786

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
the synthesis report indicate the max possible frequency.
Don't forget that in your board the reference clock is 50Mhz(crystal osci)
but this goes false if you use a frequency multiplier (PLL ..)
so, make sure of the reference clock used.

Status
Not open for further replies.