Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA devices classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnudaemon

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA classification

Hi,
I would like to have a clear view about FPGA product. I'm working with Xilinx board now but don't know much out of it.
Would anyone please explain such names as Xilinx, Quartus, Altera, etc..., and give a common procedure in designing with FPGA devices.
Thanks a lot.
@gnudaemon

Re: FPGA classification

Xilinx, Altera, Actel, Atmel, Cypress, Lattice, Minc and Quiklogic are FPGA vendors. In other words, they are some companies which produce and sell different FPGA products and boards. Each of them has lots of products. For example Altera has FLEX series, Apex series and ... products and Xilinx has XC series, Virtex series, Spartan and ... products. As you know, to work with a hardware we need some softwares to synthesize and program the hardware. Some of them have own softwares to program the FPGAs and set up the hardware. For instance MAX-PLUS II and Quartus are software tools which are presented by Altera company. You can use synthesis tools to synthesize the HDL code to a FPGA based design. In orfer to synthesize the HDL code, different synthesis tools including Leonardo and Synopsys's synthesis tool can be used. When you select to synthesize based on FPGA, you can see different products from different vendors. As i mentioned before, some of FPGA vendors have a specific synthesis tool, like MAX-PLUS II of Altera Company.

Regards,
KH

gnudaemon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FPGA classification

I think you can consider as follows:
1 you should have a design thought about the whole system.
2 draw a flow chart based on your thought.
3 implementation it with vhdl or verilog.
4 simulation it and decide FPGA chip on the basis of the usage of the resource.
5 design the circuits board and debug it.
6 conclusion the experience and lesson.

that't ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.