Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Formula for RF choke (inductance) calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlix

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do we calculate the inductance(rf choke) required for a biasing network.
my design is 12GHz LNA with Zin=15.143+j9.6410 and ZL=17.75+j4.99. Vdd is 8.3V with Rd=680ohm.I am using 50 ohm terminations for input and output.
Can anyone pls show the calculation and explain the formula?

Actually i used microstrip but i want to know the formula for Rf choke for approximation calculation.

thanks

Re: RF choke calculation

I'm not expert...

But as far as i know, RF Chock coil can be simply a coil wonded around ferrite core too many times (say 300 turns on length of say 2cm)..

It is like blocking capacitor, you don't need to calculate it exactly, unless you wanna block certain freq. specifically..

We'll learn here.. Correct me if i am wrong ..

Best Wishes to all of us,
Yassorty,

thanks for the reply but i really need a method for calculating the inductance because I need to explain my design to my supervisor. the frequency that need to be blocked are ku band frequencies(11.7-12.2GHz)

Can anyone juz pls explain the calculation in detail.(I know the SRF must be lower than the operating frequency but i need a formula for the RF choke inductance approximation)

Can you use microstrip line for bias choke ?

If yes, a quarter lambda line with appropriate decoupling cap. at the far end may solve your problem.

RF choke calculation

Radial stub and high impedance transmission line is a good alternative.

Several points:
First the SRF should be higher than your operating frequency.
Second, for choking purpose, inductor is usually followed by decouple cap, i.e. an AC ground. In a good design, DC bias is very often be integrated into matching circuit. Only in ideal case, choke impedance is infinite.
A simple estimation of the impedence is good enough (Z=2*PI*Freq*L). In real case, you need CAD tool and inductor model for accurate simulation cause things are more complicated than idea calculation. For example, Inductor Q is dependent on frequency.

RF choke calculation

RF choke blocks the RF, so you need minimum value of the inductance which has 10 times larger impedance than the other impedances, for example in 50 Ohms system your RF choke has minimum 500 Ohms resistance at your operating frequency range.
I think you have to use some microstip based RF choke in this frequency, maybe meander.

how to design microstrip choke?

RF choke calculation

a very thin line is good, just optimize the line width to the desired inductance value in a simulator, I always use this method.
meander is also possible

or see some example:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back