Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

for negative dielectric constant, how to set grid size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gell

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is that lambda/10 rule validate to use? Could anyone help me and refer me some materials to read? many thanks.

Grid resolution should be no larger than lambda/10 where lambda is the smallest wavelength of interest inside the materials with the highest refractive index. You can choose your grid resolution this way:

1. Compute refractive index:

n = sqrt(er*ur);

2. Compute the absolute value of the real part of the refractive index:

n = abs(real(n));

3. Compute grid resolution

dx = lam_min/n/10;

Since you are interested in a negative dielectric constant, are you modeling metals? Are you using FDTD with a dispersion model? If so, there is another pitfall that will make your simulations go unstable. In metals, the refractive index can be less than one and you need to consider this when computing the time step in FDTD. If you are using a frequency-domain simulation, then no worries.

-Tip

gell

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks a lot, rrumpf. I got it. Yes, I'm planning to modeling metal.

You may be interested in looking at Chapter 4 of my dissertation. I describe in pretty good detail FDTD for modeling metals. Section 4.3.1 (pp. 102-103) describes the modification for computing the time step for models including metals. In addition, Table 4-1 (pp. 95) lists Lorentz-Drude parameters for several metals.

Find my dissertation here:

Good luck!
-Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back