Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Following input voltage with JFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder929

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to make a peak detector for small voltages (<500mV). Normally a capacitor would hold the peak, and a diode prevents charge from flowing back when the voltage swings lower than the held peak. I can't use a diode to control current to the capacitor because it's such a small voltage, the lowest expected peak being 40mV.

So I'm playing around with different ways of preventing the charge from flowing back to the op-amp that sources the signal. What I thought I'd do is use a JFET instead. When the gate is 0V, the source follows the drain with only ~5mV difference. When I pull Vgs low, it gets pinched off.

It's generally working as expected but there's some weirdness that goes on. It's present in the ideal model and gets worse when I use models of real parts. I've attached screenshots of the simple setup I'm simulating, a graph of the output with an ideal JFET, and with a real JFET (the 2N3819). What is going on with those dips? Why isn't it holding it straight like I'd expect? I've been trying to find a pattern but it doesn't seem to occur with any rhyme or reason.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/Qs90TjS

Hi,

There are peak detectors, peak detector circuits, active rectifiers...
Did you do an internet search?

Btw: Any timing information is also important to get useful feedback.
Some expect a peak detector for Gigahertz signal, others want peak detection of mains voltage.

A diode solution with negative (buas) voltage could also work.

Klaus

I did do a search, I found an app note from Analog Devices that I'm going to try out. Input signal will be from 100Hz to 10kHz. I've got the active rectification done, I just need to prevent the capacitor from discharging when the voltage goes back down.

Regardless, I'm still curious what's going on with this JFET. I thought they just pass through at Vgs=0V and block when Vgs goes lower but there seems to be some other effect at play here.

Gate voltage isn't negative enough to keep the JFET in cut-off. Negative input voltage can turn it on.

I made a project with a 3819 jfet. It's depletion mode. To turn it off requires a negative voltage at the gate. A couple of volts below 0v ground. No current flows out of the gate.

jfet bias negative voltage.png

Notice 0v ground is the join between the power supplies.

To turn on the gate apply 0 or more volts above ground. Current then flows into the gate, which must be limited to avoid ruining the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.