Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Folding ADCs - request for resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwellequ

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
folding adc architecture

Anyone has experience with Folding type ADCs ? I'm starting to study high-speed ADCs and I would like to have your comments about the pros/cons of this architecture.

Regards

Re: Folding ADCs

I know alittle about that and othe architectures and can say my opinion in one word: "Go and learn pipe-line ADC and forget folding!"
Pipe-line ADCs are very fast and accurate (100MHz and 10 bits reported) but u can not find any folding ADC with these specs in papers, thus pipeline A/D converters are very attractive for state of the art applications.

BEST!

I don't know if you are aware, but there was an 8-bit 1.6 GS/s CMOS ADC reported in a conference this year. Folding ADCs, from what I understood, are suposed to be used where the pipeline cannot go (very high fs)...

why use folding ADC architecture ??

flash ADC -> < 6bit and much more power
flash + interpolation -> 8 bit
pipeline ADC --> can reach high bit high speed

I think many design use pipeline ADC for Scaler
(as I know is 165M 10bit pipeline ADC ..)

Flash ADC is the best architecture if you wanna a high-speed ADC! It will need opamp and a series of resistor! It's not just like that... :p We need others component to have better high-speed Flash ADC!

Folding ADCs

For video application, folding is good architecture. But, due to patent issue, it is not as widely used as pipeline/flash counterparts.

Folding ADC,one can get the speed of the Flash with reduction in number of comparator's when compared to a flash .Analog processing (Folding done with diff amps) to calculate the residue .Folding increases frequency handling requirements .In brief Folding ADC is a time continous 2 step Flash ADC .

Folding ADCs are used to get the same speed as Flash, but with less power. Although they can't achieve the same speeds as Flash, they are close. For example, at this year's ISSCC, 2 folding designs were presented, which, I believe, achieved speeds of 1.5GHz and 2GHz in 0.18um.

Folding ADCs are used to get the same speed as Flash, but with less power. Although they can't achieve the same speeds as Flash, they are close. For example, at this year's ISSCC, 2 folding designs were presented, which, I believe, achieved speeds of 1.5GHz and 2GHz in 0.18um.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back