Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

folding ADC structure basic understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaming_lee

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
basic folding adc

Hi all:

I am now currently studying the folding ADC. I started from the simple example of 5bits, which has 2 bit coase and 3bit fine ADC. Please see two attached figures.

My questions are:
1. fold number should be alone with the coase bits; if 2 bit coase, 4 folder is required, right?

2. From the folding amplifier output waveform in the attached figure, there is 8 folder or 4 folder? or say, one cycle wave as 1 folder, or half of the cycle wave as 1 folder?

3. I am puzzled that inside -IR to IR output range, there should be 8 steps, because 3 bit fine ADC; so there are totally 8 sets of full range of -IR to IR apear at the output, but coase ADC can only distinguish 4 sets of range (2bits); how to correlate them?

I might understand the structure wrongly; welcome help me to clear some understandings on the issue.

thanks

jimmy

folding adc basics

sorry for not clear figures, here are the replacements:

understanding folding adc

Hi Jimmy,

1. 2 bit coase, folding factor is 4 for one folder
2. there are should be 8 folders for the this figure, and folding factor is 4, so 4*8=32 for the 5 fine bits
3. can't understand your question.

Hope it can help you.

Nooby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back