Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FLYBACK_CONVERTER calculations help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siddharth_saxena

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone help me out with my fly back converter calculation ?

Solution
1636957981077.png

im finding difficulty while calculating capacitor value
Hi,

I guess: yes. But without details...

You need to provide some electrical specifications.
And you need to show what you have done so far. Don´t expetc others do your job.

Did you do an internet search, a forum search .. see the links in the box "similar threads" below.

Klaus

can anyone help me out with my fly back converter calculation ?
just tell us what you have done yourself. Next you tell where you have got stuck. I guess it is an assignment and you are expected to do it yourself, right?

Are you talking about the common DCR snubber across the primary winding? Then it resembles the behavior of a buck-boost converter:

1) The primary produces a current kick at Turn-off.
2) Diode steers current surge so it charges capacitor.
3) Resistor discharges capacitor during second half of the cycle.

The goal is to select RC values so that their snubbing action generates minimum heat and minimum stress on components.

I'd say, you have more problems to select a meaningful resistor value...

What are the transformer parameters in your simulation? Without transformer leakage inductance, you don't need a snubber at all. Capacitor value depends on energy stored in leakage inductance and acceptable overvoltage. Resistor must be able to discharge the capacitor til next pulse.

I'd say, you have more problems to select a meaningful resistor value...

What are the transformer parameters in your simulation? Without transformer leakage inductance, you don't need a snubber at all. Capacitor value depends on energy stored in leakage inductance and acceptable overvoltage. Resistor must be able to discharge the capacitor til next pulse.
i took leakage inductance as 2uH, turns ratio is 1:1.
--- Updated ---

just tell us what you have done yourself. Next you tell where you have got stuck. I guess it is an assignment and you are expected to do it yourself, right?
not really

Last edited:

1636977494637.png

Is my waveform is correct ?
oscilloscope1 :across switch
oscilloscope2 :across channel A -R3
across channel B- R4
oscillloscope3 :across R6

R6 (looks like 20 ohms) drains the capacitor very quickly after Turn-off. I believe you can select a higher ohm value so that discharge lasts the remainder of the cycle. Maybe 100 ohms.

I'm sorry, I see now R6 is 20k. Then it may be more effective if you increase the capacitor value. A reasonable volt level to charge it is 1.5 or 2 times the supply voltage. Remember a higher volt rating puts more stress on the cap, as well as costs more money. And higher voltage causes your resistor to need a higher Watt rating, also more money

I'm looking again... What polarity is applied to the transformer primary? Your schematic makes it appear that positive goes to the lower end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.