Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback/Line Transformer from a Computer CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMSA84

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

It is dangerous opening a Line transformer from Computer CRT? It is already out of the circuit PCB.

Does anyone ever tried to open one? There is any guide?

If you do not have proper training to service a CRT monitor/ CRT based TV or similar products, never try to open the back of such device.

- - - Updated - - -

Electrocution isn't a very romantic way to die.

- - - Updated - - -

well, read this : http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/eis36.pdf

Indeed, but poster said it's already removed from the PCB.

If so, trying to open it shouldn't be dangerous. A transformer / coils can only store energy if there's current flowing through it. Disconnected from other circuitry = no current = no stored energy to give you a (deadly?) shock. Unlike big, high-enough voltage capacitors or a loose CRT tube for example.

So hurting your fingers or eyes when you go at it with pliers / grinding tools etc, might be the biggest risk. FWIW: I tried myself once & didn't succeed because it was filled with some sort of epoxy resin. So I guess this depends on the actual part you have.

But like papunblg said: opening up and/or servicing CRT tubes & similar equipment when you don't KNOW what you are doing, is VERY DANGEROUS. If you have to ask what's safe in this respect, then you don't know enough to be safe, and should leave it to someone who does know what (s)he is doing.

Heck, can even be dangerous if you know what you're doing (drop a screwdriver, CRT tube implodes. Not likely but possible, so wearing impact-resistant glasses when working on opened-up CRT equipment is not overkill). If ignored, Darwin will do its job. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back