Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floating voltages and virtual grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
floating dc voltage

My multi-meter or oscilloscope can not measure floating voltages or virtual ground, how can i measure these then?

Floating voltages means a voltage differences between the 2 nodes?

Virtual ground should measure Zero volts

Where are virtual grounds mostly located or at ? any examples of virtual grounds please?

So single ended can not be floating? or can single ended be floating or have floating voltages?

Can you guys give me more examples of floating voltages or differences of voltages between 2 inputs or nodes?

I need more examples on how floating is used?

I'm mostly really confussed about ""single ended FLOATING""?

not differential floating, i understand that i just don't get how does single ended floating works and how the voltage drops or voltage potential works with single ended floating, when the signal ended is NOT grounded or reference its floating

Added after 2 hours 50 minutes:

how do you know if the reference is zero volts tho, and not like 5 or 10volts reference?

yes, a floating voltage can be AC or DC.

Can you give me examples of Floating AC and Floating DC?

Is Floating DC a reference DC voltage above or below ground?

It seems that a Floating DC is DC OFFSET to me since its above or below ground

Biasing power amp tubes , the bias voltage is at negative -48 volts so this must be some type of floating voltage , because the AC signal input to the tube has DC offset so the AC signal is referenced to a -48 DC volts not ground so it floating right?

I seen tube preamp stages and transistor stages where the emitter or cathode bias voltage is above ground is this a floating voltage since the AC input is not referenced to ground since the biasing resistors are changing the baising voltages above or below ground?

Added after 5 hours 38 minutes:

From a EE designers point of view

Whats the difference between 12 voltages referenced to ground VS floating ( absolute voltage difference) from node to node equals 12 volts also?

Why would a EE desinger choose the Floating voltage ?

What does having a reference above or below ground do in circuit or design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back