Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flattening in synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

alam.tauqueer

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can any one tell me What is flattening in synthesis?

Regards
Tauqueer

flattening is nothing but go down to the hierarchy,i.e from top level to last level.
correct me if i am wrong

thanku

hello

If i understand u correctly ur talking abt flat desin before synsthesis part. since VHDL r Verilog coding is in hierarchy way and there naming at diffent stages and if we do not give as flat then there will be naming clash for the same name . so in order to over come this ,, we declare it as flat and then we get the final net list after synthesis .

may be i am wrong please let me know

Please check the below page for flatening details..

As I explained in the above page (wrto DC),

Flatening works by converting the combo logic into two level SOP(sum-of-product) form and removing intermediate terms.

How set_flatten Worsk in DC :
Product = X * W;
X = Y+Z;
when you set , set_flatten true in DC , the optimization will be ,
product = (Y+Z) * W => Y*W + Z * W;

Flatening is oftenly mistaken for removing the hierarchy and making the design flat . Ungrouping removes levels of hierarchy in a design

Reactions: r94

r94

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
So flatening is basically generate netlist by removing intermediate combo logic and optimized into SOP.
please tell if my understanding is wrong.

Sam hit it on the head. Synposys uses some confusing naming, but flattening is changing combinational logic into sum-of-products. Ungrouping removes heirarchy. Both can improve timing. Depending on the design they may reduce gate count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back