Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FLASHPRO JTAG signal integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodney123

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am attempting to program MPF300T-1FCG784I device using Libero v12.6 (Platnium) with FlashPro 4 programmer (JTAG). However I get the following error when programming.

Error: programmer '01416' : device 'MPF300(T|TS|TL|TLS)' : Executing action PROGRAM FAILED, EXIT -22, refer to FlashPro online help for details.

More information this error

pf_exit22.png

To deal with this issue I have taken a closer look at my JTAG signals to see is signal integrity could be an issue.

F0009TEK.png

Green: TMS
Purple: TDI
Blue: CLK
Orange: TRST

To achieve this JTAG "frame" I ran a "Scan and Check Chain" operation.

So my questions are as follows:

Do the above JTAG signals look acceptable?
I have noticed that both TMS and TDI seem to float until the CLK kicks in

Should reset be high during the transmission of the frame?
I believe the JTAG State machine to be active whilst TRST is low. am i pumping data in to a SM that is in reset.

Is their a resource that describes JTAG framing and protocol?
most of my questions stem from a weak understanding of what JTAG signals should look like (framing and protocol).

What exactly does the "scan and check chain" do?
At a guess I would say checks the programmer is connected and that it can clock data into and out of the target device/s Instruction register/s as expected.

Last edited:

TRST is active-low, so that’s not your problem.

its hard to tell anything about your signal integrity over such a long sample, you’d need To zoom in to see anything of interest.

without seeing your setup, and based on the error messages, I suspect you’ve got a problem with cabling. Try programming at a slower clock speed and see if that helps.

TMS should never float that is the signal that moves a TAP controller through the FSM.

Do you have the TMS line connected to a pullup?

Hi,

Intermediate levels could mean "floating signals" ... but it could also mean "short circuited" signals.

Please check wiring.
In doubt use a series 100 Ohms resistor and measure at both sides.

Klaus

TRST is active-low, so that’s not your problem.

its hard to tell anything about your signal integrity over such a long sample, you’d need To zoom in to see anything of interest.

without seeing your setup, and based on the error messages, I suspect you’ve got a problem with cabling. Try programming at a slower clock speed and see if that helps.
More detailed JTAG signals:
TEK0000.jpg

Green: TDO
Purple: TMS
Blue: TDI
Orange: CLK

hope this is a little more clear.

I am programming a slow as possible at this point @ 1Mhz

Set up is as follows: (apologies for unconcise schematic, there are two PCB's. one with JTAG header (PCB1) and one with FPGA (PCB2).)
JTAG2.PNG

Figure 1: JTAG 10 pin connector (PCB 1)
JTAG1.PNG
JTAG3.PNG

Figure 2 - 3: PCB1 to PCB2 socket with filtering

JTAG4.PNG

Figure 4: JTAG into FPGA (PCB2)

Finally, in a effort to ensure cabling between programmer and board was not causing the issue I put together this cable.

20211214_093242000_iOS.jpg

As far as the reset is concerned, when a reset occurs the JTAG FSM goes to TEST-LOGIC-RESET state. when reset goes high, the programmer will drive the operation through TMS. Does this sound about right?

Thanks

TMS should never float that is the signal that moves a TAP controller through the FSM.

Do you have the TMS line connected to a pullup?
TMS has no pull up. This is in line with the board design specified by the FPGA manufacturer however.
1639475246666.png

as a result it does tend to float.

@Rodney123,
Do you have another FlashPro programmer to try out ? The one which you really know has been successfully used by a colleague.
Did you try to generate the FPGA bitstream again doing a "Clean and Run All" and trying it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back