Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flash memory to microcontroller interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_mosazadeh

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
m_mosa

i want to interface a flash memory to a microcontroller to save microcontrollers' ports data into flash memory?
could anyone help me by the hardware required to this interface? what is the protocol of connection between usb flash memory and other
devices?

connect flash to microcontroller

The flash chips used in an usb device is a nand flash. This flash is not random access, you need to read or write a whole sector of data, similar to a harddisk. Its a serial data structure, and it needs a special interface structure. Usb flash devices is normally formatted like a normal disks, with FAT tables and everything.

If you want to program a flash with small number of bytes you can either use an I2C device or a memory mapped bytewide flash chip.

Depending on the brand of flash you may write single bytes or smaller blocks of data, typical 128 or 256 bytes in the bytewide chips, but you can always read single bytes back. Be aware of that some of the types has big blocks of data, 16 kbytes to write. These are normally meant and used in bios applications, for program storage and not for data.

The data sheet for each part will give you enough info for using it.

TOK ;)

slaa281a

i do not want to execute a program from flash memory. i only want to save the micro's port datas into a flash memory.I want to connect flash memory occasionally to a micro which works in a big system and store its ports data. it is not important that flash memory is not a random access memory. I only want to save into it.

save the data in flash memory in microcontroller

i can choose the host microconteroller, 8051 or one pic microcontroller. the amount of data is not large. we want to connect flash memory only once in a day and store only its port data.

interface flash memory chip to microcontroller

hi m_mosa,

you said
(1) the amount of data is not large.
(2) you want to interface a microcontroller to a flash memory.
(3) you want to save port pins.

I suggest u can use a serial flash memory device.
see https://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8495.pdf

goodluck!

hi skyhigh

thank you for your suggest

how serial flash memory device can be read after writing data on it?
Is there any interface circuit to connect micro and serial flash memory?

This protocol is normally I2C.
Take the time and read the datasheet in roykyn's last post, before you ask more questions, this will answer most of the questions you have.

TOK ;)

Hi,
Simply use hi-speed I2C chips such as 24FC1025 from Microchip and use another reader device (that u hav to make using any MCU with MAX232) in computer side and U can get a max of 1Mb Memory.
Thanks

Choose a microcontroller with I2C interface this will simplify your software

Hi,
24FC1025 is simpply a 1Mbit Memory chip used for small memory applications, the advantage is that this part supports high speed I2C bus - Speed upto 1MHz.

Hi,

I know we can use nand flash with microcontroller .

But what if i want to interface msp430 with nand flash which is not having external memory interface other then i2c and spi and higer range nand flash say 64Mbyte avilable with parrallel interface only.

Did any one tried this.

Example code if available tell me

sgmistry

sneha0930 said:
Hi,

I know we can use nand flash with microcontroller .

But what if i want to interface msp430 with nand flash which is not having external memory interface other then i2c and spi and higer range nand flash say 64Mbyte avilable with parrallel interface only.
sgmistry

If you want to interface with large size NAND Falashs It is preferable to use MMC/SD memory cards the following application note describes the interface of MMC/SD memory cards to the msp430 via the SPI bus

www.focus.ti.com/lit/an/slaa281a/slaa281a.pdf

I think atmel DATA FLASH is best choice

Hi there,

I'm currently using an MSP430 and a NAND256-A Flash Memory. I was wondering if anyone has any advice (for a beginner) on how I should go about debugging my code to tell whether there's a problem with writing into or reading from the Flash. Currently, the character that I write into the Flash is not matching with the one I read from it so I'm not sure whether or not it ever writes anything into flash or if there's a problem in the retrieval process.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.