Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flash ADC Back-End Digital Encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bubble error flash adc

Hi, folks:

I want to survey experienced guys on flash ADC back-end encoders.

Let us assume the flash ADC is for data communication. What is the standard, or most commonly used, back end digital encoder, are used to solve bubble issue and metastability.

I've seen "NAND3" + "Gray ROM" + "Completion detection" combined as total solution. Just want experience designers to comment its performance and other popular ways in nowadays.

Regards,
Neoflash

Yes bubble error detection and correction is standard and helps to reduce static and dynamic accuracy requirements for the comparator stages.

I did not have a number but some sources say that the area could be reduced by a factor 2 or more for the same yield spec by correcting one bubble errors.

By the way the coding is straight binary and the complementary lines are used for error detection if also in the presence of 1 bubble correction there are further errors.

Both techniques are standard for more than 15 years now!

neoflash

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
rfsystem: You mean the coding rom is just binary? Then how about the metastability issue? If one word line metastable incur more than one LSB error, that will be a big problem.

Yes metastability is an issue everywhere but these are very rare situations. The gray encoder helps only if there is a latch architecture after the decoder. So if one code gets wrong that the numerical error is low. But the metastability is much worse at the flash comparators. I guess it is orders of magnitude more occurrence there than in later latches. Therefore the bubble correction is implemented.

The binary ROM encoder could be built with the error detection. This signal would also be very helpful for testing and online system diagnosis.

neoflash

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back